The Wrist

Today I got an e-mail not long after I got to the classroom I work in letting me know that Bug said her wrist felt like it was out of place and hurting. The teacher had her resting and icing it, and I let her know to call me if it wasn't "fixed" in 45 minutes. I know that sounds like a long time, but back in Feb. this year something similar happened and we went to the ER. After sitting there for over an hour, they did x-rays and got her seen. By then it was feeling fine again, and we were treated like we over-reacted and sent home. I spoke with our genetics nurse the next day, and she told me that what happened at the ER wasn't unusual for EDS patients, and that next time to just ice it and rest it and typically a wrist will wiggle back into place.

Being the novice I still am (even after 3.5 years of dealing with EDS and my daughter) I did e-mail the school about what happened and what to do in the future if it happened again, but I didn't save a copy for myself, or blog about it so I'd know which wrist it was if it happened again in the future. Duh.

So, I haven't yet figured out if the wrist that was subluxed (I'm guessing that is what happened) today (THE LEFT!) was the same as before. I guess worse case scenario I will call the hospital and ask them the look in her records.

The good news is that it worked itself out during the icing, and the pain went away. Everything was fine after that. This is what Bug told me. "It looked like it popped out of place but it didn't, I put both [wrists] on my desk and they looked different. I didn't hear it pop either, but it started hurting." She said the reason she looked at the two wrists is because it hurt. As usual, it's hard to know how seriously to take this. After all, can a 3rd grader notice the difference in her wrist shape? That said, I certainly believe she knows her pain, and does it really matter if it was subluxed or not???

The one thing I am torn on is if I wish they would send her to the nurse to get stuff like this checked when it happens, or if I like her staying in class and continuing on like normal. On one hand if a nurse were able to look at it maybe I would better know if it subluxed. On the other hand, that would draw more attention to her being "different" both in her eyes and her peers. I think right now I'm going to leave things as they are, which means she stays in class and just ices there. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but I hope it is! :)

3 comments:

Sickly Florida Girl said...

Well i know i am the same way when it come to my eds . I am like bug i always look at my wrist or ankles ect. and if they look different then i know its poped out of not but she has a good hold on her self ... She is a 3rd grader and she knows all about this and i am still blowen away by her. she sounds like a amazen child..

best of luck and love to you and bug..

BugsMom said...

Thank you!!! She is pretty darn amazing, and handles everything with such a positive attitude. When she was born, a neighbor came over to see her and said to me "she is such an old soul, you can see it in her eyes". I thought at the time that was a cool thing for her to say, but over the years I have come to realize how accurate that statement was!

Also, thank you for letting me know that you look at your sore areas. While it is suspected that the EDS comes from me, I have not had any real issues to speak of so far. That makes it hard to know what a typical reaction is in some of these situations. ;)

yanub said...

I always look at my joints, too, and also feel them, to try to figure out what went out and in what direction.

Unless Bug's school nurse has a talent for coaxing a subluxed joint into place, I don't see that it will do any good for Bug to waste her time in the nurse's office. If she is in class, she has interesting things happening around her that help distract from the pain.