And the PT said...

She doesn't know! :) Actually, what she said was she believes that it was a small bone in her foot that must have moved out of place, and slid back in. She said that anything muscular shouldn't have suddenly felt right again, or never come back. It's now been 6 days since it all happened and not once has Bug had any pain or limited motion since her foot/ankle "suddenly felt right again". I am thankful for that, but am left scratching my head.

The PT and I had a funny talk about it all. She was talking about how she's read so many times about random subluxing and dislocations, but how it's so hard to understand as a person who doesn't have it happen. I told her I knew where she was coming from, because even when I suspect that is what happens to Bug I still often find myself looking for that other more logical reason for her pain/issues. I wonder if I'll reach a point one day where I just don't worry as much and accept it for what it is, instead of trying to complicate things by looking for other possibilities?

Anyway, we've had a great week since and are enjoying the holiday weekend. Only 8 days of school left, WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

elise said...

Hi lovely,

Even for those of us who have these acute subluxations, it can be very confusing. Sometimes I don't know if what I am experiencing is a subluxation, muscle spasm, tendon out of place, or just simply something else. I've learned so much about my own body in the three years since my diagnosis but can only distinguish 50% of what is going on when it happens. Often times several things are going on at once but which came first is a chicken-egg dilemma. Bug seems pretty in tune with her own body and knows when to ask for help or rest.

Perhaps it is helpful to know what is going on from a rational perspective when you are a mom who has to deal with schools/teachers. Giving Bug the tools to be confident and know when to ask for support will take her a long way as an adult with EDS.

I'm glad Bug is feeling better and it is a relief when EDS manifests as an acute subluxation that reduces/resolves on it's own.

lots of hugs,
e

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know, I just found your blog by searching for answers for this exact problem. I, too, have experienced this in my wrists and foot. Mine, however, resolves fairly quickly within hours, but the pain is horrible and when it is gone its gone.

I wish there were more answers than questions. I also must add, I am struggling with similar tummy troubles. Not sure of the connection. I hope your bug is feeling better.

Take Care,
Nan

Evil Transport Lady said...

I was/still am perplexed when Jenn has issues. She can go on for a while with nothing, then wham something acts up. Still after 4 years of this it still shocks me. EDS is a guessing game, after a while we can laugh about the past issues. Because the pain memory fades, plus joking makes everybody feel a little better. Hang in there! And I hope you all have a great summer!

One Sick Mother said...

LOL I am on the other side of the fence. I find it almost impossible to imagine people whose bones stay in place! I used to wonder why my husband was surprised if I had to stop and remove my shoe so I could rearrange the bones in my foot (after a few years, you get good at putting stuff back in place). I think all of my sisters did this. It was not unusual to hear "stop for a minute. Me toes are coming apart..." when we werre out somewhere.


It definitely happens as the PT described and I think the small bones in a hand or foot (wrist/ankle) are actually worse than the big ones (shoulder or hip), because there are so many more moving parts therein. Also small bones are a much sharper pain, whereas big ones tend to be duller and more diffuse.

I do know understand that it may be difficult to comprehend how a bone can come undone just like that (and right itself accordingly). I really think you have to live it to truly understand it. If I pop a bone, say in my hand, I will exclaim and hold my hand under my arm. My husband and son will both look surprised and say "what happened?" whereas my 9yo daughter will not show any surprise at all. She will sagely and sympathetically nod "A bone, right?"

"Yes. A bone"

Kudos to you for believing in Bug and supporting her. I was not diagnosed until adulthood, after years of being branded a liar and a drama queen.

OSM