OMG - Ring Spints Fricken ROCK!

Ok folks, I am straying from my normal talk about Bug, and yes, there is plenty to talk about. Tonight, I am hopping on just to say something about me. While Bug was getting her ring splints today at the U of Iowa I mentioned to Keith (the OT we've seen 4 years now) that I didn't know what a "normal" range of motion was for a finger. He looked at me, and I said, "My fingers have always hurt when I write, and I just wondered if they are within the normal range of motion at the tips". (They bend straight back at the bases - so I know that isn't normal! HA!)

Anyway, he looked at them and made some comment along the lines of "Good God yes they are hypermobile" and asked if I'd like him to make me a plastic splint to try. So how could I say no? I did, and people, it rocks!

I cannot explain to the "normal" people out there how different it feels to have stability in that joint. Weird just isn't a good way to do it. Strange but amazing is more like it! It's been almost 12 hours since I got my splint and I just love love love it! I am already now considering seeing about getting my own genetics appointment made to take the leap and get my own official diagnosis (they already were pretty darn sure I am the carrier, which means I also have EDS) just so I can get my own splints on any fingers that need it. I don't care what they look like, I don't care what they cost. It feels too good to have that extra strength to worry about those things.

The true test will be next week when I start working at school again, as I do lots of writing. But today I wrote a letter and could tell a difference, and I was surprised at the difference I felt typing. Wow!

I had such an "ah ha" moment right after getting the splint. Keith wanted me to try it out by writing something. I reached over to get the paper and he said "Stop that! You can pick that up like normal now. Use your first finger and thumb". I looked down, and sure enough I was scooping the paper with my whole hand. I laughed, and corrected myself. I have never noticed that before - and I am sure there are plenty of other things I do oddly too. Just like every other EDS'er.

Before I take the leap, I need to make sure that if I ever need to get back on my husbands insurance I still will be able to. I moved onto my own policy last year with the school. While I don't plan on leaving the school, it's just better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you for listening to something totally non-Bug related. I'll be back to do my normal Bug updates tomorrow! :)

2 comments:

Gumby / Mommy Zebra said...

Wow thats wonderful, glad to hear you had such a great experience with the ring splints! Please let us know how they feel in a week or so. I have been thinking about those for some time but never took that leap. Enjoy your weekend.

Nicole

yanub said...

Makes you wonder what you were waiting for, doesn't it? I love mine, too.