OMG - Scary!

You know, I just hate how you think things are difficult and then something else comes along and just proves that they could be worse! Tonight Bug was ok going to VBS knowing that she might not be able to eat the snack (we packed one for her in case) and that she couldn't have a snow cone. She was fine with that. But when we picked her up, she was a basket case and refused to get into the car unless we let her get a snow cone. This isn't my child, mind you. So, I put my mean Mom hat on - you know, the one I typically only have to use with my older son, LOL, and told her she could have a plain one and a treat at home. She huffed and puffed and finally went and got it, returned to the car, and was back to her happy old self. (you have to hate self-pity, but I certainly can relate)

I felt tired from the battle, sorry for her, and yes, a bit sorry for myself again. I was thinking of how I was going to get her bathed, her hair blow-dried, and her non-dairy cupcakes made for summer school all at a reasonable hour. It was already almost 9 by the time we got home from Vacation Bible School. So, I went about getting her in the bath, washed her super cute first short haircut she got this past week, and went and sat on my bed waiting for her to finish soaking. Next thing I know I hear her choking, and I run in and start banging on her back. As she's struggling, she manages to say "inhaler". Suddenly, the light went off and I started screaming as I ran down the stairs for my husband, screaming with no one answering. Our master bedroom is in the attic and I made it all the way down to the first floor still screaming with no answer. As I'm banging around the kitchen looking for the rescue inhaler, I'm still yelling, and finally my husband annoyed shouts "what!" from the basement. He was putting in the laundry. I'm yelling and banging and not finding a darn thing and somehow I finally get across to him it's an emergency and he comes up. Why he didn't realize it as I came running down two flights of stairs screaming at the top of my lungs I don't know, LOL.

Anyway, I yelled for him to go watch Bug while I tried to find her stuff. He runs up and I finally find the emergency bag. I run back up to the attic, she's still not able to really breath and her skin coloring was getting all patchy and "off", and I put the mask over her face and push the button on the inhaler sending in the meds. She started getting better, I pushed it again and she looked even better still. A third time and I was comfortable stopping. She starts breathing more normally, and I asked what happened. "Nothing" she said. "I just was laying here and then I couldn't breathe."

Up until that moment, I was still convinced she had choked on some water. But, there was no denying it anymore, she had a full-blown asthma attack. The first one we've ever had that bad. And she hasn't even used an inhaler in over 2.5 years. What's up with this?

So - add asthma back on the list. I thought maybe she'd outgrown it, but I guess not. The only thing I can think of that might have triggered it was our dog went to a new groomer today which was in a vet. So she might have been exposed to some cat dander. However, I have noticed her barking off and on this week, but had sold myself on the fact that it might be a summer cold or something. I guess not.

Our new allergist is just going to love us. Boy oh boy, what a visit it will be next week! Well, I'm of to attempt making these dairy-free cupcakes, if anyone deserves and awesome birthday tomorrow it's my Bug!

4 comments:

Evil Transport Lady said...

Hugs to you and your daughter! I wish there was someting more I could say, but you and your family are in my thoughts!

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bug!

Carapace said...

Ugh, there's something special about respiratory problems.

Is there any way you can have more than one emergency inhaler kit? If possible, it's really good to have one on every floor (if you must have stairs!).

Hang in there with the bug! Remember she's going to be frustrated with her limits from time to time, and need to take that out sometimes. As long as you're the All-Powerful Mom, sometimes that's going to be on you. It's not unique to disabled kids, of course, but it can be easy to forget that. Good job steering her into more cheerful accomadation (though, why can't she have snowcones? Do they put dairy in them where you are, or does she have some allergy I'm forgetting?)

Happy Birthday to her, and Happy VBS to you;)!

ScrappyStuff said...

hey there, i wonder do you know Christia (aka: christinasbookshelf.com ? i have tried to log onto her blog again, which i just discovered recently) ..which is somehow how i found your blog.

this is so super, modern technology, i wish i would have had this resource when my son was younger. He was diagnosed when he was five, and now at 24 he is finally getting typed.

feel free to contact me. thanks, toni